JUST IN – Gita Gopinath Appointed as Chief Economist at IMF. ( October 1 2018 )
A snapshot from Gita Gopinath’s resume looks like this –
EDUCATION & PERSONAL
- Born Mysore,India (1971) , age :47
- Bachelors in Economics from Lady Shri Ram College (Delhi)
- Masters in Economics from Delhi School of Economics & University of Washington
- Phd : Princeton University.
- Lives in Weston, MA with her husband and son.
- US Citizen, Overseas citizen of India
- Financial advisor to the Kerala Government ( 2017)
- She currently is also the professor at Harvard University ( John Zwaanstra Professor of International Studies and Economics ) ( appointed permanent ,2010) and the head of its Economics department. ( 3rd non-male and the only Indian after Dr.Amartya Sen )
- Other posts –
- Research Associate with the National Bureau of Economic Research ( http://www.nber.org/people/gita_gopinath )
- Research Program Member at the International Growth Center London School of Economics
- 2011 – Chosen as Young Global Leader by World Economic Forum
- 2001 – University of Chicago ( Assistant Professor )
- 2005 – Harward University ( tenured Professor there in 2010)
- Co-editor – American Economic Review
- Co-editor – Handbook of International Economics
- Co-Director – International Finance and Macroeconomics Program at the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER).
Exchange rates, trade and investment, international financial crises, monetary policy, debt, and emerging market crises.