- Officially known as — Protect and Grow American Jobs (HR170), this bill proposes new restrictions to prevent misuse and abuse of H-1B visas ( by denying extension to H1B visas – for those who have applied for Green Card )
- This will force the H1B visa – dependent companies to raise the salaries from $60,000 to $90,000
- As many as 500,000 Indians on H1B visas might be affected .
- Currently the bill has been passed by the House Judiciary Committee and is now headed for the US Senate
- Comes from Trump’s vision of “Buy American, Hire American” , since the belief is that the ‘deportation’ will lead to opening up of jobs for US citizens.
- 90% of the H1B visas were granted to workers with a Master’s or a Bachelor’s degree ( 2016 figures )
- Of the top 10 H1B visa recepients (2016), 6 are Indian IT firms
As the Trump administration mulls regulations to prevent H1B extensions, it might be one of the biggest mistakes the US would be committing, which would adversely affect US being one of the top attractors for technology jobs.